The news of pregnancy brings in smiles on the members on the faces of the family. On the flip side, during the three trimesters, you need to be on your toes and alert because pregnancy can cause complications if proper care is not taken. Though you are going to be under the scanner all through the pregnancy cycle and your doctor is going to get you tested on various complications, you yourself need to be aware of them and take self-care to keep them at bay.
Here is a run through some complications of pregnancy that can be life threatening to the fetus and the mom as well.
1. Pre-eclampisa – It is the almost rare condition in pregnancy because it usually affects only 5 % of the pregnant women in India. This condition is caused by high level of proteins in the urine, high blood pressure or kidney conditions post 20 weeks of pregnancy.
Care needs to be taken to be aware and act promptly by the doctor if there are even mild symptoms of it because it can progress fast and can be life threatening to the baby and the mother too. The solution to it is early delivery.
2. Gestational Diabetes – This is one of the common conditions occurring in pregnant women in India. Around 10% women could be prey to this condition that can be diagnosed during 24-28 weeks of pregnancy. Post diagnosis your blood sugar levels will be monitored on a regular basis. Most of them with mild conditions manage to keep it at bay through exercise and diet and are able to deliver healthy babies without complications. But, care needs to be taken to avoid it from aggravating because it can then cause serious harm to the fetus.
3. Placenta Previa – This is condition can cause complications towards the end of pregnancy not in the early stages. Hence, the doctors check the location and placement of your placenta with a sonography test during the second tri-semester. 1 in 200 women can have this condition and it can be quite dangerous if the placenta is at extremely low levels.
4. Miscarriage – One of the most dreaded conditions which can only be avoided by taking proper care, miscarriage is caused in the first 20 weeks. This is common with Indian women and 20% of them experience this condition within 12 weeks mostly. The symptoms of it include spotting and bleeding at the vagina. The doctor does a sonography to check for the condition. The reason behind early miscarriages is usually
5. Premature Delivery – Premature delivery is when the cervix opens before 37 weeks of pregnancy. If the delivery happens too early then it can be life threatening for the baby so care needs to be taken to avoid it.
The department of Obstetrics and Gynecology has been providing comprehensive health care for women. We provide regular clinical services in Obstetrics like antenatal care, labor management, postpartum Care. We also provide specialized care in high risk pregnancies like P.I.H, Eclampsia, GDM, Multiple gestations, BOH. With the backup of NICU, we are able to salvage preterm babies of 30 weeks on wards. Highly qualified doctors, with the help of well equipped labor ward, conduct normal and caesarian deliveries